Is gender neutral parenting the best approach to raising your kids? Parents want to do their best to break any outdated gender norms, but it seems that pop culture, in all its modernity, still seems to be getting in the way. See what Breaking News has to say.
Gender Neutral Parenting: The Rising Trend
Gender stereotyping is one of the most rampant issues in society today. For most, the decision to adhere to gender neutrality parenting stems from the conviction that we have various expectations and preconceived notions at the very instant we find out the biological sex of our child. Following a gender-neutral approach is a parent’s valiant effort to confront gender stereotypes and not to classify a child solely based on his/her biological sex at birth.
Gender Neutral Parenting: Pros And Cons
Gender neutral parenting is a way of raising a child without explicitly impressing preconceived gender standards upon them. However, we have to keep in mind that there is a bigger picture here. It is not simply allowing Johnny to play with his sister’s dolls. If you choose to go ahead with gender-neutral parenting, you’ll need to fully understand the pros and cons. After all, the life of your child depends on your choices.
How do Kids Benefit from the Gender-neutral Parenting Approach?
- Research shows children raised with a gender-neutral mindset are more creative because they’re able to have more freedom of expression and choice. Their interest, hobbies, sense of style, and other personal choices are not restricted to the female or male stereotype. This includes allowing them to play with gender-neutral toys and speaking to them in a gender-neutral language.
- Because of the lack of hindrance to their choices, they’re likely to have the ability to expand their insight and interests. Thus, making them more confident and more likely to succeed in becoming future leaders.
- Experts find that raising children with gender awareness enhances the child’s self-esteem and gender identity. Boys and girls are better aware of themselves.
- Without restrictions or guidelines, raising children in gender neutrality makes them get to know who they are.
- Gender-neutral children are likely to make efforts to challenge and achieve gender equality both in school and in society.
What are the Possible Repercussions of the Gender-neutral Way?
- Experts say parents must be careful not to force their kids to be gender-neutral children. If your son naturally prefers trucks and sports, that’s fine. If your daughter chooses pink and princesses, that’s all right, too. There’s a fine line between observing a gender-neutral approach and forcing it as a rule.
- Children who don’t know about gender until they meet with other kids or attend school may feel confused as to which gender identity they belong. This can affect personal growth.
- Regardless of how hard you try, there’s no way you can keep your child from the inherent gender stereotypes. You may be able to avoid and control it within your house, but you can’t stop other people from coming into your child’s life. Prepare for lots of pushback from other parents, teachers, or even your own family.
Watch this video by Channel Mum about the 6 worst gender-neutral parenting mistakes:
What are your thoughts on gender-neutral parenting?Let us know in the comments section below!
Up Next: How Does Bad Parenting Affect a Child?
Editor’s Note – This post was originally published in December 2017 and has been updated for quality and relevancy.