Kindness is a great trait to cultivate in yourself, and kindness quotes can help us understand the role this quality plays in our lives and motivate us to practice it more. Each of us has the duty to help those around us in whatever way possible, spread kindness, and see how it ripples back. Let these famous quotes about kindness inspire you to fulfill this duty and become the best human being you can be.
13 Kindness Quotes to Ignite Compassion
Understand the Nature of Kindness
What is the true meaning of kindness? The dictionary defines kindness as the quality of being generous, considerate, and friendly. Kindness is a display of affection, warmth, care, concern, gentleness, thoughtfulness, understanding, charitableness, unselfishness and helpfulness. Sound like a lot? Below are some kindness quotes to inspire you to find your own true meaning of kindness and put it into practice in your life.
1. “A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.” — William Arthur Ward
William Arthur Ward was an American teacher, pastor, editor and author. His words show both encouragement and inspiration while also giving us actionable steps to increase the amount of kindness in the world.
2. “Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.” — Mark Twain
Mark Twain was an American author best known for his ability to convey the truths of human nature through his witty writing. His most celebrated works, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, are literary masterpieces that inspire generation after generation through quotes like the one above.
3. “Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world.” — Buddha
Gautama Buddha is the founder of Buddhism. Buddha was born into a royal family and had a privileged upbringing. However, he opted to leave his sheltered life and follow the path of a seeker of truth and a spreader of kindness.
4. “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” — Leo Buscaglia
Felice Leonardo “Leo” Buscaglia was an American author, professor, motivational speaker and is also known “Dr. Love.” Leo Buscaglia is known to live his life in love. His books, talks and general work have empowered and inspired people all over the world.
5. “Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek.” — Dalai Lama XIV
Dalai Lama XIV is a spiritual leader committed to fostering positive values and highlighting world peace and the significance of true happiness. People across the world love his teachings and put into practice his thoughtful quotes.
Appreciate the Significance of Kindness
How often have you found a moment of genuine bliss in a brief experience with a grocery clerk, a taxi driver, or a different seemingly mundane encounter in daily life? Remember these and start to recognize that even the smallest interaction in life can be an exercise in kindness.
6. “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” — Leo Buscaglia
This quote from Leo Buscaglia shows us that there’s power even in the smallest act of kindness. His book The Fall of Freddie the Leaf touches both children and adults with its lessons about a life fulfilled.
7. “Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.” — Henry James
Henry James is considered the most prolific of the great American writers. His works include twenty novels, more than a hundred novellas, and countless stories, criticism, and travel sketches.
8. “Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them and they bless you, the giver.” — Barbara de Angelis
Barbara de Angelis rocks the field of personal growth and relationships as one of the most influential teachers. She is a popular television personality, a motivational speaker, and best-selling author.
9. “Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” — Scott Adams
Scott Adams is an American cartoonist and writer. He is the man behind the popular comic strip, Dilbert. The iconic comic strip has been published in 57 countries, 2,000 newspapers and 19 different languages.
10. “Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.” — Princess Diana
Diana Spencer, Princes of Wales, captured the world’s heart and attention as a prominent philanthropic force. She worked tirelessly for charities across the world using her wealth and fame to raise and promote awareness on several humanitarian issues. She was truly an icon for kindness.
Give Kindness with a Generous Heart
Don’t be kind because it is your responsibility. Instead, be kind because you know there are joy and love in kindness that the world needs.
11. “Even when you do not feel big-hearted, you can give yourself permission to act that way.” — Lama Willa Miller
Lama Willa Miller is the founder and director of Natural Dharma Fellowship in Boston, MA. She is a Buddhist teacher, translator, and scholar. May her quote inspire you to push yourself to act kindly even when you don’t feel like it!
12. “Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.” — James M. Barrie
James M. Barrie is the Scottish author behind the spellbinding story of Peter Pan and Wendy. He wrote timeless and beautiful prose which even today readers all over the world love.
13. “Don’t be yourself — be someone a little nicer.” — Mignon McLaughlin
Mignon McLaughlin was an American journalist and author. She was known not only for her work but also for her catchy quotations which have resonated with millions
Can’t get enough of kindness quotes? There’s more in the video below from Daily-Quotes:
We should all work together and become more generous, considerate, and friendly. We hope you enjoyed our collection of kindness quotes. May they inspire you to continue to be kinder to yourself, your community, and the world!
Did we miss any beloved kindness quotes? Share them with us in the comments below.